Wednesday 4 May 2011

digital painting tutorial part 1 - alices dress


I was ill when i did this, but that just tells you how good graphics tabs are you can plac them on your knee and just sit on the setee with your laptop on the arm of the chair and just pait away forever. I will talk you through the process.

TIP - NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO A PAINT OVER, IT REALLY HELPS YOU FAMILIARISE YOURSELF WITH DIGITAL PAINTING.

I never used that method here but It helped me learn how to paint dandelions in another pic.

1. To start off I had a dark grey background to add some contrast to the graphics tablet sketch I was about to do on top.


2. On a seperate layer I drew the outline of alices dress in dark grey with a small sized round brush.


3. I started to shade in the tones of the dress, some lines in the fabric in a medium grey, and some shade in a slightly darker shade of grey.

TIP - UNTIL YOU GET REALLY GOOD, ALWAYS PAINT IN TONES OF GREY, IT IS EASIER THAN USING DIFFERENT COLOURS AND THE COLOUR CAN BE ADDED LATER REALLY EASILY USING THE LAYER EFFECT OVERLAY.
PLUS IT HELPS YOU TO FAMILIARISE YOURSELF WITH TONAL VALUES.



4. I started to shade the ruffles in the dress using a medium-dark grey, i have payed speicial attention to wrethe light and dark would lie, darker inside the folds, lighter outside of the folds, highlights are added later.


No comments:

Post a Comment