Wednesday 29 June 2011

Are Virtual Sports Days the future for school children?

I managed to make it to my sons sports day today, and how different it is to the sports days I had when I was at school. No egg and spoon race in case one of the children accidentally swallows the raw egg and gets salmonella poisoning, No sacks, in case someones dumb kid puts it over there head and suffocates and no 3 legged race, because the tie-ing up of children is not allowed.  and no medals because every ones a winner (but that's a different matter).

The point I'm trying to make is that this "over protectiveness" of our children has become a joke. Sure, no school wants any harm to come to there pupils, but how far will this go?

I joked to my mother that soon children will be having "virtual sports days" where they will run on virtual running tracks with there virtual eggs and spoons without any risks and parents could watch at home via the  Internet instead of having to stand bored in a field for an hour and a half.  Or maybe they'll all just sit in the hall and play the latest version of Wii sports, who knows?

Looks like someone had the same idea

I know I suggested the virtual sports days as a joke but I dont think it will be long before they put it into practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment